Thursday, September 2, 2010

Life, Interrupted

I find it pretty hard to cope pleasantly with interruptions. Whether I'm trying to finish a task, a full thought or a complete sentence, taking interruptions in stride does not come easily.

And lately I've been reflecting on the art of being available; not only willing, but immediately obedient, when the LORD interrupts my carefully laid daily plans and invites me to invest a moment in His kingdom. Perhaps it was a phone call I wasn't expecting, a visit that causes me to set aside my outdoor work (yeah THAT'S why I have a garden full of weeds instead of flowers ;)...) or muffins I hadn't intended to bake, or playing for a few moments on the floor when I have mountains of other things that need to get done.

As I am teaching my children the importance of handling interruptions properly, I myself am being taught. And isn't that they way it should be!? After all, we can only really teach the things we ourselves are in the process of learning.


Usually I give my kiddos the "5-minute warning" before we have to transition to the next activity. Generally this works very well. As humbling as it is, I think the LORD uses this gentle tactic on my heart as well. Only His nudges sometimes occur weeks or even months in advance of the actual change. I can feel it stirring in my heart. A restlessness. A knowing that a step (or even a great big gigantic LEAP!) of faith will be required. An invitation on the horizon.

Leah, the Voice whispers, this is a relationship that will require some attention.
Or Daughter, again that gentle nudge, this is an area of character that needs refinement.

I felt sad this week. One of our neighbors from down the street will have moved out by the end of the month. Though I am thrilled with who will be moving in, I am still sad. See, I received many Divine Invitations to reach out. To get to know my neighbor. To allow our kids to play and hear what was going on in her heart.

And indeed we met once or twice, and tried to get together even a few times after that, but it after a while just became easier to let it slide.
And now she will be gone.
And I missed the chance to embrace another and accept a divine opportunity.

All because I was too busy keeping my life tidy and my home organized and things under control.
I long to be more readily available, to be attuned to these heavenly challenges, more ... interruptible.

Even as I've been writing this post, I have had the opportunity to practice "interruptions."
Seems I have a long, long way to go ;).

But perhaps, with a bit a lot of practice, I can reflect Isaiah's sentiments...
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails