Thursday, November 18, 2010

Confessions of a Stitch-a-holic :)

I LOVE to crochet!!
And did you know that you can crochet while feeding a baby!?
Yup, you can.
:)


But, really, a person can only crochet so many doilies or scarves before hunting for another project :).


While surfing the blog world one day, I came across Caps For Good. Just having had a baby myself, this jumped out at me. Hey, this is something I could do! I thought.


And so the search for the perfect wool (I've already lost one #4 needle in the process ;P) began.




Did You Know .....


Nearly 4 million babies die each year in their first month of life - half within their first 24 hours - mostly from preventable or treatable causes. But by giving mothers and caregivers a package of simple tools, including guidance on healthy newborn care practices, the majority of these deaths could be prevented. Items crucial to saving more babies’ lives include: 


•   antibiotics to treat infection 
•   immunizations against tetanus 
•   skilled birth attendants at every birth 
•   counseling on breastfeeding 
•   information on basic newborn care such 
     AS keeping  the cord clean and keeping 
     the baby warm 



This is where you can help by making a cap! Your caps will be sent to Save the Children’s newborn health programs in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Visit GoodGoes.org/caps to see stories about how caps like yours are making a difference in the lives of mothers and children around the world. Baby caps are a simple and effective tool that can keep babies warm and ultimately contribute to reducing newborn deaths in the developing world. 
 - taken from the Caps For Good info site

The stitching has begun! My goal is to make 10 caps before adding fun little do-dads. I have all sorts of ideas and am quite excited :P!  Four down, six to go! AND I've promised myself I'll use up all the wool I've bought for this already BEFORE I buy more (I'm a sucker for more soft wool!!).





If you're interested in joining me, if you can get basic patterns and more information at Caps For Good.  Please note, all caps need to be in NY by February 28, 2011. AND GET THIS - there is even a little tag that you can attach to your cap and write a little note to the mother who will receive this for her baby!






If you send a cap (or two or ten ;)...) let me know!


I'll post pictures of the final cap stash! Until then, happy stitching!!!


10 comments:

Suthrngrl45 said...

Enjoyed reading tonight...Would be honored if you could read my blog...is about Revelations revealed to my heart through various ways and my journey...

http://suthrnrevelations.blogspot.com/2010/11/never-give-up-seasons-of-our-lives.html

Robin Fehr said...

Good post! I'll check out that link! Sounds inspiring...

Sandra Reinecke said...

I, too, am joining in this campagin for hats for babies (and while I do both knitting and crochet, I'm crocheting 'em since it works up MUCH faster)! Great to see others are just as excited. :) What I was MOST curious about was this crocheting while feeding a baby bit... However do you manage? I never tried because I figured I couldn't navigate the needle and the yarn AND the baby!!! :)

Roo said...

YOU are inspiring...i've loved this project from the first time i heard you mention it. love you.

a very sweet life! said...

Hey Suthrngrl45 - thanks for stopping by! I'll be sure to check out your link!!

a very sweet life! said...

Hi Sandra! Do you have pictures of your lovely little crochet creations :)? I'd love to see some if you do! Yes, actually breast-feeding has a few advantages --- I've read a LOT of books ;) and somehow discovered that it is possible to crochet too - however, one side was "easier" than the other AND now that I'm transitioning to bottles, well, not so easy at all!!

Sandra Reinecke said...

Yes, I do!!! Let me know where you'd like a pic sent to... :)

Pamela said...

I just sent a box full last week. They are so easy to make!

Anonymous said...

I knit all mine and loved every minute I spent on this worthwhile cause. I shipped off 40 of them. I'm now doing scarves for the Special Olympics and their winter events.

dentist carthage tx said...

How interesting ideas! I enjoy reading your posts – clear and well written. Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails