Monday, February 9, 2009

Somewhere between hither 'n yon...

I have been a mother for exactly 1145 days (well, that doesn't count the days she was in the womb, but the days when the sleepless nights began!!) Doesn't sound like much, but it is. And somewhere between Day 1 and Day 1144, a metamorphosis has occurred. You know you've crossed that parenthood threshold when you walk around singing Veggie Tales songs like they're the latest hit, eating more goldfish crackers than your kids do and toting diapers in your JACKET POCKETS (hey, it's easier than packing a bag!). And the changes don't stop there.

This morning I had the opportunity to visit with a new mom. And as we talked about those early days, I had to laugh at the things that used to t.o.t.a.l.l.y stress me out. Leave me weeping in tears at the kitchen table whilst planning for my child's future counseling fund - stressed out. And as I laughed and shared, I reflected in amazement at how normal this all feels now ...

... and how much I love it.

You wouldn't have known that from the way I snarled during today's lovely whining episode or the way I huffed in frustration with having to deal with the same old same old again and again.

But I love it. I really really do.

And I'm so glad I'm not a newbie anymore. Those were rough days! But I'm also glad that I can look back with grace-filled lenses, chuckle over those bumpy lessons, and hopefully pass on something that I've learned.

Live. 
Breathe. 
Take the space you need. 
Let the little stuff go. 
And some of the big stuff, too. 
Laugh a lot. 
Cry once in a while. 
Pray always.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails