Friday, September 18, 2009

Culinary Challenged :P

The other day, I resorted to trying to convince Little M that burnt toast actually had more vitamins than regular toast. She didn't buy it, not for one second :).

So often, my default kitchen rule is - if it ain't burnt, it ain't done :)!!!

One of my goals this year (for real, I wrote them out!) was to expand my culinary horizons just a wee bit. This fall I have decided to narrow that down a bit, because it was a tad overwhelming :).

As the weather cools, and the furnace kicks in (well, it hasn't yet, but knowing MB, it will!), I look forward to experimenting a bit with soups! Doesn't that sound cozy :)!? I have a few stand-bys (like chicken noodle, or cabbage borscht), but I'd like to add a few more to the repertoire. So if you have some suggestions :)....

Last Saturday, I gave this a whirl from Kraft Canada (those who know me well appreciate that I enjoy Kraft's EASY and STRAIGHT-FORWARD recipes). It was so yummy, and actually a hit at our lunchtime table.



2 baking potatoes (1 lb./450 g)
1 can  (10 fl oz/284 mL) 25%-less-sodium chicken broth
1 cup skim milk
3 slices  fully cooked bacon, chopped, divided
3/4 cup KRAFT Double Cheddar Shredded Cheese, divided
1   green onions, sliced, divided
1/4 cup light sour cream









Because I am who I am, I simply can't follow a recipe word for word. It would be like denying my inner deviant or something! So I've always got to swap something or forget something or purposefully strike it off the list -- just -- because :).

This time I nixed the sour cream because I had none in the fridge and I used ham (already cooked and a lot less work) instead of bacon (waaaay too much work and mess!). It was still dee-lish.

I also recently purchased a Black & Decker food processor (not sure about the reviews - they were a bit iffy, but hope it'll be sufficient for my basic needs), so I'm looking for all sorts of things to chop, shred, mix and zip through the handy machine just because I can :). We'll see what comes out of the kitchen next week :).....

Oh yeah. Let me know when you can swing by for a bite of something warm (and hopefully tasty!!)... I'd love to have you over!



4 comments:

Chantelle - ThousandSquareFeet said...

Soups! MMMMMM!! I love a good hot bowl of soup! I have a few good recipes, chowders included, that I can send your way!

John Rambo's Wife said...

I'm with Chantelle on the Chowders!! One of my recent favourites is corn chowder. I think I could eat that once a week. And so easy. I usually keep some chicken stock powder (like OXO - just add water) on hand for my soup bases and then the rest of the ingredients are easy...an onion, potatoes, corn (straight from a frozen bag of it) then milk, ,flour and if you'd like for flavour bacon, but you could do some other meat too. YUM YUM! Then I have a SUPER easy potato soup recipe too. I can email those to you if you like. :)

Kathryn
ps- I've been snooping around your blog for a week or two now...thought it was time to let you know I was lurking.

a very sweet life! said...

I welcome your recipes - I've never tried corn chowder but would LOVE to - and anything yummy, really. Once I give it a try, I'll let you know :)....

Robin Fehr said...

The soup is amazing! I tried it, and I will make it again. You go you.... culinary girl - you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails