Thursday, September 3, 2009

Small Towns

I grew up in a small town, so I know that they have their perks AND drawbacks :).
And after a stint in the city, I knew that the urban life was not for me.
So, when J & I were lookin' to get married, it only seemed natural to remain in SmallTownVille, MB :).

One fun thing about small town life is that even a trek uptown can become the social excursion of the day! Yesterday we headed to the local boutique (MCC!) for our outing of the day. Well, that became of time of visiting with someone I hadn't seen since spring. THEN we bumped into someone else AND THEN we ended up stopping at the park. Someone offered us a bag of freshly picked apples. We stopped and chatted with our neighbor. And on and on. We dawdled here and there, soaking in the long-awaited sunshine, playing, laughing and (very unfortunately!) swatting bugs (it was this that finally drove us back inside our home!).

This is also one of the things I love about my role right now as a SAHM. Before, when I worked outside the community, I couldn't even tell  you who my neighbors were. Now, we have neighbors - plenty of them - and they live all over town. And it's fun to have the flexibility for these surprise visits before dashing home and quickly making another peanut butter sandwich for lunch :P.

Yes, there may not be much anonymity in a small town, but it's a great place to be!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

This is my first time living in a small town and I'm loving it too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails